FORF is planning, organizing, and hosting a symposium to be held in March 21-24, 2013 in Haiti. Invited panelists include a wide range of researchers, ethnographers, collectors, and curators with an interest in Haiti’s native Taino culture. The purpose of the symposium is:
- To increase awareness of Haiti’s Taino past and heritage
- To encourage heightened protection and preservation of Haiti’s cultural riches
- To encourage creation of a Taino Museum
- To motivate tour operators and institutions to feature Haiti’s archaeological sites in local visits and eco-tourism, thereby promoting Touris Lakay
- To motivate local communities to protect and develop their Touris Lakay potential.